tirsdag den 4. november 2008

Fellow losers...

So now that my days are no longer numbered by an employer, they are instead numbered by my unemployment insurance. After having succumbed to the mandatory 3 weeks of quarantine imposed by my quitting and not getting fired, the paper mill kicks into action.

Mandated by law, I have to fill out never-ending amounts of paper, send in pay stubs from the last 14 months - in so proving that I was not a loser until now, and at least not within the last 14 months - fill out online affidavits stating I am still a loser (every 3 weeks), every Monday I have to click a button on a website 'Yes, still a L' etcetera etcetera. It is fascinating, thrilling and nonstop fun and excitement. A part of the circus is that since the insurance people own me, they want to see me for certain scheduled meetings. I am of course hoping I will get a job, so that I do not have to go again - but at least I got to experience some interesting people.

The scene is as follows: 9 a.m. Friday at the insurance offices - steaming hot coffee, freshly baked buttery croissants and fresh fruit - definately not a bad setting. A competent lecturer, necessary information - and 14 of my fellow losers. I quickly went into 'I am silently judging you'-mode. We were all in the exact same boat - without knowing any of them, I knew that they were unemployed, that they had been so since the 1st of the month, and they were here to oblige the demand to show up for the meeting.

Yet, 4 of them - men, I do not if that is significant or typical - felt decidedly compelled to raise their hands at various points during the 3-hour meeting, to offer their assistance with regards to writing applications and interview prepping. Why, thank you. And you are here to...? Help the rest of us? Or to collect insurance because you do not have a job? And the fascinating thing was, as they continued to interrupt, the were upping their status! It was one huge piss-off match! One had a Masters in Communication - the next a Masters in Communication and PoliSci - the next a Masters and tons of connections from his previous jobs with the top brass of 6 of the Fortune 500 companies... or some such nonsense.

In general, I do not mind bullshitting or the bullshitters per say - they tend to be very amusing. I have no particular need to assert myself in any group setting ('smile and wave' generally does the trick) - so I can lean back and enjoy the show. But I am touchy on the whole 'unemployed' issue, and it bothered me that the people in my boat were being obnoxious about it. Such a waste of venue - there must be some miniature countries scattered about the planet on the look out for their next dictator. I hear North Korea may or may not be shopping around.

Ingen kommentarer: